Manchester United centre-back Eric Bailly has insisted that no player in entitled a regular spot under manager Jose Mourinho.
The Ivorian footballer was paired alongside Phil Jones for the first six games of the Premier League campaign before he was replaced with Chris Smalling for the Crystal Palace clash. Mourinho later termed the defender was on the bench due to ‘fatigue’ and Bailly feels he cannot take his place for granted under the Special One.
Speaking on the United Review, he said: “It’s very important for us, it’s important for the team, it’s important for the manager, and when it’s like that, there is also competition amongst ourselves, so we always have to improve because I don’t think anyone is automatically entitled to their position in that team. There’s a good relationship between Phil and me, and with the other two defenders, Victor Lindelof and Chris Smalling, even though we’ve not had the chance to play together yet.” Continue reading
Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho have moved up a notch after they secured a 2-0 win over Leicester City in Saturday’s late kick-off at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils looked frustrated for much of the game before substitutes Marcus Rashford and Marcus Fellaini got on the scoresheet.
The Red Devils had the vast share of possession during the first half of the encounter while having a Juan Mata goal chalked off for being offside. This was followed by further frustration in the second period as a poorly take penalty from Romelu Lukaku was saved by Kasper Schmeichel, who looked in sublime form on the day.
Eventually, United pulled out their options from the bench with Rashford scoring within five minutes of his entry via a corner whilst Marouane Fellaini used his body to good effect to score the second goal following a brilliant assist from another substitute Jesse Lingard.
Following the game, Mourinho said: “There is a difference in the quality of our football. The team is playing very well – they are very confident and are playing great football. I like my team very much. Three matches and nine point is nothing new for us, because last season it was three matches and nine points.” Continue reading
Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho appears to have begun his mind games after he aimed a dig at Antonio Conte following his recent comments.
The Blues manager recently cited that he would like to avoid a ‘Mourinho’ season at Chelsea as he looks to keep hold of his position for the long-term. Chelsea finished a lowly 10th during the 2015/16 season where Jose Mourinho was sacked midway through the campaign, and the Special One replied to the Italian in a slightly different fashion.
Following United’s 3-0 friendly win over Valerenga in Oslo, Mourinho admitted that he was not annoyed by the recent remark, but he took a subtle dig at Conte’s restored hairline suggesting that he won’t be losing any hair speaking about the Blues head coach, he said:”I don’t know,” he said.”I could answer in many different ways but I’m not going to lose my hair to speak about Antonio Conte.”
United clinched yet another win in an impressive pre-season with Romelu Lukaku, Marouane Fellaini and Scott McTominay getting on the scoresheet, and with a friendly against Sampdoria left, the manager is content with the club’s preparations, he added: Continue reading
Jose Mourinho has insisted that Manchester United are not in the hunt to sign Gareth Bale during this summer’s transfer window.
The Real Madrid midfielder has been heavily linked with an Old Trafford move this summer with the Red Devils looking to bolster their attack front.
United have been largely unsuccessful in their quest to sign a new attacker with a deal for Ivan Perisic far off from being complete. Inter Milan are said to demand fees of at least £48m, and this is still far from United’s £26m offer for the Croatia international.
Mourinho had highlighted last week that a deal for Ronaldo is ‘mission impossible’, and a reported asked Mourinho whether he shares a similar stance with Bale, for which, he replied: “The same [as Ronaldo]. You have contacts and feelings, you understand things, and it was clear that Bale likes Madrid, the challenge and situation. They are in a very good situation now and I never felt a desire for him to leave, so why waste time on it? No.” Continue reading
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has opened the possibility of offering a short-term deal to Zlatan Ibrahimovic once he recovers from a serious knee injury sustained in late April.
The big Swede was allowed to leave Old Trafford on a free transfer earlier this summer after it was known that the veteran would not be fit until the turn of the year.
Ibrahimovic has nevertheless been allowed to use the training facilities at Carrington, and he is evaluating his options for the future with a move to Major League Soccer also in the horizon. Speaking to reporters, via ESPN, Mourinho cited that the club would offer another chance to the experienced forward following his spectacular debut campaign in English football last term.
He said: “Possible, it’s open, of course we wanted to be honest and open and left everything for him to make the decision. At the same time let’s make a decision that makes us all happy and if that is for him to stay and for us to wait, let’s say in December maybe, because I don’t think before December he can get back to competitive football but why not wait for a player who gave us so much, we are changing ideas and it’s with Mr Woodward (Ed Woodward) and Zlatan’s agent but the final decision is the best for the player.” Continue reading
Super-agent Mino Raiola has reportedly discussed the possibility of bringing Gianluigi Donnarumma to Manchester United amid the uncertainty over his position of current number one David de Gea.
The Spain international has been heavily linked with a return to Madrid, and his recent house-hunting expedition has posed further doubts about his future.
According to DiarioGol, the Mancunian giants are preparing for the worst after Raiola made contact regarding the availability of his client Donnarumma. The 18-year-old has turned down a Milan contract beyond 2018, and this will most probably see him being sold during the upcoming transfer window.
Jose Mourinho is said to be demanding a world-record £100m for the sale of his key goalscorer, but this valuation could come down significantly if United manage to reach a breakthrough with Real Madrid in the pursuit of Alvaro Morata. Morata is currently valued at £70m by Los Blancos, and this has put a stall on the proposed agreement with United only willing to pay a £65m sum. Continue reading
Manchester United are willing to part ways with Ander Herrera to Barcelona, should they receive Jordi Alba in a straight exchange deal.
The 27-year-old had a top season with the Red Devils last term as they celebrated an EFL Cup and Europa League double under Jose Mourinho. As a result, the Spaniard was named the club’s Player of the Season as he put in a real shift in central midfield alongside veteran Michael Carrick.
Spanish outlet Don Balon claims that the Mancunian giants could end their association with Herrera with the midfielder yet to extend his contract beyond next season. New Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde worked alongside Herrera for a single campaign(Athletic Bilbao) between 2013 and 2014 before the midfielder left for United, and the manager is now eager on a reunion at Camp Nou.
There have been talks over a four-year contract on the table for the former Basque player, but this has not diminished speculation about his future with Barcelona an admirable option for any top player in professional football. Herrera struggled to make the starting lineup on a regular basis under former boss Louis van Gaal, but the arrival of Mourinho has done wonders to his careers after he settled to a deeper holding midfield role.
Carrick has duly delivered in a similar position for the Red Devils, but Herrera appears to have made the spot his own with Mourinho looking to slowly drift the former from first-team duties. Carrick, 35, inked a one-year extension at United recently, but he may not expect as much playing time as he earned during the course of the previous campaign. Herrera bagged exactly 50 appearances for Manchester United, who will back in the Champions League next term.
Manchester United, in need to backup their future as Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic’s career grew towards the twilight, threw their money at Chris Smalling seven years ago. Throughout his professional life the former Fulham man gave out displays that showed that he was capable of being a decent reliable defender and had potential to be up there with the very best. Smalling is known for his ability to read games, his positional sense and his penchant to start forward plays right out of the defence.
However, despite all these attributes, it is safe to say that the Englishman failed to become the player with which United can build their ever wavering future on. It can be argued that the troubling post-Ferguson era would have been too much for any player to handle, but the thing is, it is in the moments of great adversities that players prove themselves the most – and the Englishman utterly failed to do so.
There is a reason each coach that joined the fray at Old Trafford since the legendary Scot’s departure has made the signing of a new centre-back his priority – the ones they met (including Smalling) simply weren’t good enough. Continue reading
Marcus Rashford broke into the first team of United in unlikely circumstances. Louis van Gaal was head coach at the time and the Red Devils were in a injury crisis involving most of the first teamers.
Prior to his debut, Rashford was largely unknown to most of the United supporters despite his terrific performances with their reserves. However, it didn’t take long for the football world to know of his special abilities as 4 goals in his first 3 matches did the announcement
Mou’s appointment as head coach in the summer of 2016 did pose a threat to the youngster’s cocoon-to-butterfly journey. The Portuguese is an unrepentant advocate of experience over youth, a special signature to never have the patience of giving team reserves enough time to prove their worth. From letting Lukaku leave for Everton while he was working at Chelsea, to loaning Madrid homeboy Alvaro Morata to Juventus during his time at the Spanish capital.
The signing of Zlatan Ibrahimovic despite having two potential world class strikers in the mould of Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford re echoed the legendry stubbornness of old habits. Continue reading
Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford says that he is extremely delighted and proud to have earned the trust and faith of manager Jose Mourinho.
In the absence of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Manchester United have been utilising Rashford as the central striker. It has been a sea change in the fortunes of the young forward, who looked lost in the United squad earlier in the campaign. The presence of Ibrahimovic was an intimidating factor. The goals from the Swedish forward also made it extremely difficult for Jose Mourinho to even consider dropping the 35-year-old. As a result, Rashford had to be content with a place on the wings now and then.
In the last few weeks, the 19-year-old has been playing regularly and has been selected for the key matches as a central striker. He has rewarded the faith shown by Jose Mourinho by scoring a key goal in the first leg of the Europa League semifinals with Celta de Vigo, while he assisted a goal in the return leg at Old Trafford. Continue reading