French Ligue 2 side Monaco are reportedly lining up an audacious bid in an attempt to lure Wayne Rooney away from Old Trafford.
The strikers future at Manchester United had been questioned following his omission from the starting line-up of last Tuesday’s Champions League defeat to Real Madrid, though Sir Alex Ferguson has stated that there are no truth in reports that the England international is considering leaving the club.
However, mega-rich Monaco, who under the guidance of former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri are on course for a return to Ligue 2, are preparing to pay big money for the 27 year old, as well as offering a bumper, tax free wage.
Meanwhile, Former United striker Andrew Cole has likened the situation with Rooney and Robin Van Persie to the one he faced when Ruud Van Nistlerooy arrived at the club in 2001.
Cole told ESPN that had he “not been so headstrong and stubborn”, he could of stayed at Old Trafford, and has urged Rooney not to make the same mistake.
Elsewhere, Rio Ferdinand will not be punished by the FA for his clash with Chelsea’s Fernando Torres in Sunday’s FA Cup quarter final.
However, the same cannot be said for Wilfred Zaha, who along with Crystal Palace boss Ian Holloway, has been reprimanded for improper conduct in the Eagles match with Leeds United on Saturday.
Zaha, who has been loaned back to Palace having signed for United in January, has been charged following an alleged gesture made towards Leeds fans, while Holloway’s ire was towards the match officials.